From the Front Lines

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Guess Who Hasn't Experienced Fine Dining in a While?

(Posted By CombatGirl)

This morning, while standing in the bathroom getting ready for work, I received the following inquiry from my nine-year-old daughter, affectionately referred to as Johnny (a/k/a Johnny Rotten, although she's a lovely girl), who was doing last-minute homework in, of all places, my bedroom:

What's the name of a restaurant that begins with "S"?

Combat Girl's response: What? (There's a short hallway between my room and the bathroom.)

Johnny: The name of a restaurant that starts with "S".

CG: (Pause) Why?

J: I need it for reading class. We're doing words that start with "S", and I don't have a restaurant yet.

CG: (Wracks undercaffeinated brain.) I don't know.

J: (Wheedles loudly -- she's in another room, after all.) Come on, Mom...you have to know at least one "S" restaurant.

CG: (Burns fingers with hot roller, thereby jolting self into full
consciousness.) Hang on. Wait, I know. (Beat) Spago.

(Smug smile. Would bet money I am the only mother in the greater Minneapolis area who could be this creative at 6:54 a.m. after only one full cup of coffee and sustaining an injury that could be loosely construed as work-related.)

J: How do you spell it?

CG: S-P-A-G-O. And if anyone says that's not a real restaurant, you tell them it is, too, that your Mom said so. It's in California. Run by a guy named Wolfgang Puck. And it's where all the celebrities go. Or used to, anyway.

(Like I'd know. Thank God I read the latest "People" magazine last night right before going to bed. And the closest I've gotten to "fine" dining lately has been Olive Garden, and that was only because someone gave me a $25 gift card. Plus, it doesn't begin with "S".)

J: (Appears in bathroom doorway.) Wolfgang who?!?

CG: You need to ask me these questions the night before the homework's due,
Sister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home