From the Front Lines

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Mo' Better

ESG,
Here's a quick one for you (and the rest of the Cookies) -- I was just in the breakroom at work and noticed a bag of snack chips in the vending machine, the words "NOW BETTER TASTING" emblazoned across the front of the package. I mean, big enough so that I could see it from my post over by the microwaves (incidentally, I had noodles with homemade pesto. I can rock some pesto). But, pray tell...better tasting than what? And to whom? I don't recall anyone from that particular manufacturer asking me previously how I felt about the "pre-existing" taste. So then I think, more savory than, say, coffee grounds? That tuna melt that left me sick for a week when I was 19? An old shoe? Not quite so much of a claim to fame, then, eh? And isn't that sort of an admission on the company's part that, well, the old chips really weren't very good at all? Actually, I do recall that I liked the former version just fine, thank you very much. However, I guess this corporation is vested in my selective memory -- so now I should dutifully bleat, "Oh, yeah. Those chips used to taste like crap. How do I know? It says so, right there on the bag." A little too much like Orwell (1984) for me.

~All the best...CG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home